[IP] Re: Public Testing -- and in Unusual Spots

*I'm curious about the reactions people get when they test in public.  I'm
*aware of the brouhaha in Dear Abby's (or was it Ann Landers?) column but
*any personal experiences with it?  To me, my FastTake meter is so cute,
*fast, and small that I can't imagine anyone would find it offensive but I
*wonder if in our AIDS-colored society the sight of blood might not be a
*cultural taboo.  Any opinions?

I have tested in public for about 15 years. Never a problem. Some people
squinch up their eyes the first time, but because I do it so casually and
quickly they un-squinch their eyes and usually just ask a question or two.
Nobody has ever complained.

I'd like to start a thread on the most UNUSUAL place you've tested. (Anyone
on Mt. Everest, for eg?) For me: The wooden porch of a poor family in
Penyem, Gambia, right after having been offered a slug of home-made plum
wine. (It was very tasty -- but very sweet.) Gambians observed impassively,
and nodded sympathetically when a translator told them I had "sugar.''