[IP] quick drop bgs (long winded)

One strange phenomenon we have noticed is that sometimes Kevin FEELS low even
though when we test he is not. For instance, he played Soccer again
lastnight. We did the usual temp basal change and at 10pm his sister yells
down the steps that Kevin feels low! We go check him and he is 120. An
untrained eye would have poo-poo'd him and said "you're fine, you're normal"
and that would have been that...but he is very good at detecting these
strange drops. Sure enough 15 min later he was 90, we turned off pump and 15
later he was around 80! 40 drop in 1/2 hour...with pump off. We were until
2am getting him high enough to relax. We could have given him juice, but we
figured 80...he'd be up to a more comfortable range in about 1 hour and we
wouldn't have to force feed a sleepy child. BAD ENOUGH that we have to prick
so much. If we had just let it go, I feel he would have been in the 50's for

My point for blabbering, is that these little nuances is what keeps my
husband and I from straying to far from home. It is too much to explain to a
lay-person. We had planned on doing a business trip together (we do every
Dec) to California  this year and had the tickets and all...but I cannot
bring myself to leaving them with grandparents for the 4 days. When we bought
tickets in Aug. we thought we'd have it all figured out by December. Am I
being overprotective?   When I start adding up all the little decisions we
make daily it becomes overwhelming.

Things like take off a unit cuz he's on the low side going into a meal, the
phone calls from school when he is out of range, exercise changing the whole
scenario...some foods we dont count all the carbs or he will go low, or the
last site change seems to be super absorbent so he goes low (we lower basals)
and the list goes on and on.

I know we have to cut the apron strings at some time, but HOW when we are up
most nights checking and most days making some crucial decision? For the most
part his bg's are GREAT but I feel it is due largely to our constant
vigilance and go with the flow attitude. How can you teach someone that for a
weekend getaway or business trip? I guess it is the nature of the this
beastly disease aye?

Sorry so long, any advice is wonderful.

Mom of Kevin
Happy Pumper