[IP] ignorance of loved ones and diet advice needed

I am in need of some advice....I went to my fiance's house tonight (he lives with his parents) to watch some movies and hang out.  I had rented the movies and bought a bag (the size like at the movies) of peanut m-and-m's for us to share.  I know he is trying to lose weight, and of course I shouldn't eat a lot of them, but I figured we could share the bag with no major consequenses.  I am 22 years old and have had dm for 10 years, I know how to add a bolus for the occasional splurge of chocolate.  Also, my fiance is 26, and knows he needs to lose weight, which is why I got the small bag to share.  Well, we were in his mother's room talking with her and his younger brother and sister when i first got there, and Mom noticed the m-and-m's when I handed them to him, and took them and asked why I got them, and "YOU eat these???"  And promptly set them on her dresser.  We didn't get them back.  Was I wrong to buy them for him?  He has asked me to help him lose weight, and I would like to, but I also know that he can't completely deny himself the things he loves (and boy does he love those!) or he will end up giving up.  (Any advice on how to help/encourage him to lose weight without overstepping my bounds would be appreciated!)  Am I wrong for being completely peeved at her for assuming I can't eat things like that and assuming it is her duty to keep me in line?  Her husband has on more than one occasion made comments about things I "shouldn't" eat.  I know they are only trying to help, but they are very pushy people, and also my future in-laws.  What is the best way to handle this?  I can't take much more "help."  Thanks.