Let me start by saying that I was dx when I was 16, so I very clearly
remember "the other side".  I have always tested/injected in public,
whenever I need to.  I don't make a show out of it, but I do it.  Yes it
does make some other people uncomfortable, but they can look the other way
(I have a friend who is also my roommate who originally was very quezy
about this but she would look away, and I would warn her).  There are a lot
of things in this world that make others uncomfortable.  I work with a
family.  The 8 year old has Down Syndrome, the 6 year old is autistic.
This makes quite a few people uncomfortable.  But do you know what?  I will
NOT stop taking them to the playground or McDonald's or the pool or
anywhere else (that is developmentally appropriate) because of that.  I
will make the 8 year old try to order his own food at McDonald's even
though he has severe speech delays (his isn't going to learn if he doesn't
try).  I will eat in McDonald's even though the 6 year old is up and down
out of his seat and flapping his hands (which incidentally he sits for
longer periods of times each time we go).  I will test my blood sugar at
the table because I'm going to eat as well.  People will stare.  People
have left the restuant.  People ask me why I have them in there.  People
asked me for "them" to stay away from their kids.  They can leave, but I
will NOT.  Testing/injecting makes some people uncomfortable.  Down
Syndrome makes people uncomfortable.  Autism makes people uncomfortable.
Bald people make people uncomfortable.  People in wheelchairs make people
uncomfortable.  Amputee's make people uncomfortable....

I'll get off my soapbox (for now)
PS Megan, I think it is great that you speak what you think, even if it is
completely different than what I think.

To be who you are and become what you are capable of is the only goal worth
living.  -Alvin Ailey