Re: [IP] Silhouette complaint

Sam, I think this issue has been discussed before, but it proabably won't
be the last time :-)
On one hand, I'm like you in that I've never had an infection from a Sil in
over 18 months (almost 200 insertions), but on the other hand, I'm unlike
you in that I don't do squat regarding cleaning the skin.  There's actually
very few bugs on the exposed skin that will cause infection---that's why
even after millions of needle injections even through clothing, there's no
indication of any infection.  And that's why you've never had one, even
though your cleaning doesn't sterilize the skin anway.   There are surely
things that will grow (as can be seen in any middle school science fair),
but most of these moldy things won't cause infections at the catheter site.
So Natalie, not to worry.  Those "little infections" probably aren't really
infected (like with pus, etc?)--just redness from capillary damage and
swelling from insulin tunneling.
p.s.  But even so Natalie, with the Sils I use, there is no hole in the
plastic--the intact plastic covers the skin hole.

>At 12:32 PM 10/13/1999  Natalie A. Sera wrote:
>I realized that what I don't like about Silhouettes is that the hole
>where the cannula goes into your skin is wide open to the air and water
>-- the cannula goes through a hole in the plastic and straight into your
>It seems to me that this is just a free ticket to infection -- and I
>have had a couple of little infections with the Silhouettes, but none
>with the SofSets.

IV3000, there is still a straight shot for those little bugs to get in.
However, I can't say that I've ever had an infection because of it after
almost 16 months of using them. I pay a lot of attention to cleaning the
site pretty well when I install a new set... I don't know if that prevents
subsequent infection or not.
I'd be interested in what you find out.