Re: [IP] Testing in Public

Hi Ellen,

I'm one of those parents of a child with IDD.  Lauren (age 8) started pumping
in June and she's not at all embarrassed to test her blood sugar wherever she
needs to.  Before pumping we used an insulin pen and she would inject herself
discreetly in public.  We weren't taking her to the bathroom as if she had a
disease to hide and be ashamed of.  I don't think most people around us even
notice what she's doing.  Consequently, I believe, Lauren doesn't mind doing
what she needs to to take good care of herself.

She's in third grade this year and does all her blood tests right at her desk
in her classroom.  Her teacher had Lauren do a demonstration of her meter and
pump on the first day of school.  Her classmates will grow up with more
awareness of this disease than the majority of my peers.  I'm sure I went to
school with classmates who had IDD, but I couldn't name even one going all
the way from elementary through college.

We'll stay "out in view" educating and encouraging.  I've found that
answering questions honestly and with sensitivity to who is asking has been a
great way to influence others opinions.  In the meantime, we're working to
achieve our goal of a cure for Lauren.  It's great to know that there are
people like you "out there" too!