Re: [IP] Diabetes-attention getter??

   Very valid question & further substantiation for the do we/don't we
"educate?"act up" in public" conundrum.....
    On Tuesday I arranged a gathering of moms of kids with diabetes at our
local mall & 16 of us showed up, occupying the table from 11:30-2:30!
Interestingly, of the 16, 10 already had kids on pumps (or starting this
week) ranging in age from 6-17.....But what was more significant were the
horror stories circulating about the inadequate care our children had
experienced at the hands of school personnel doing precisely what you're
discussing - i.e. "why are they making such a big deal out of it?" it's
sooooo inconvenient when I have to stop for...." "how come Suzie or Johnny
always seems to need to go to the nurse/bathroom" when I'm doing some
important class work.....and that's without even touching upon the REAL
horror stories of substitute teachers & nurses....
   As long as there are still children with diabetes being subjected to
NURSES (yes - nurses!) thinking they should be giving juice to a child with a
high bg or insulin to a child with a low bg ( honest!!!), then we obviously
haven't done an adequate enough job in our "RTP"
(reaching/teaching/preaching) efforts in the public forum. One of the moms
(whose daughter has been on a pump for 2 yrs) said the single most
frustrating part about diabetes is NOT the unpredictability of the bg swings,
but rather the appalling ignorance of "outsiders", each of whom thinks he/she
is an expert because their "great aunt Millie" had a "touch of the sugar".
    So to answer your question: for all the adults who function in the adult
world thinking that anyone who'd comment on their diabetes as an "attention
getting device" is an aberration- be apprised that our children are STILL
being victimized by this lack of understanding & misinformation.

Regards, Renee (pump-coach for 3 1/2 yrs)