[IP] my disease is better than yours! nah nah nah!

There are plenty of famous diabetics.  Mary Tyler Moore and Nicole Johnson are the
first two who come to mind in terms of activism and voice-raising about diabetes.
But actress Halle Berry is diabetic, as was actress Dana Hill, who died from
diabetic complications.  There are many, many more.

I want diabetes research, and I'd love to have diabetes cured.  But I can't jump on
the bandwagon to say, "Fund diabetes instead of AIDS!"  Or any other disease, for
that matter.  If a cure doesn't come in my lifetime, I can still live a decent life
with diabetes.  There are countless other diseases whose victims do not yet have
that possibility.  A disease that makes life unbearable for 800 people should be
researched, just as one that makes life difficult for millions should.  I am
grateful for each development that puts us closer to a cure or makes my day-to-day
life easier.  And I'm thrilled that advances are being made in the prevention and
treatment of cancer, CF, MS, AIDS, etc.

If I had been born 50 years earlier, I would have died from diabetes almost
immediately.  I may still die from it, but I'm sure as hell gonna enjoy the