[IP] A1c Measured Monthly In DCCT

I am a DCCT/EDIC participant and I was in the Intensive
Therapy group during the DCCT phase of the study. I think
the monthly A1C testing added value to my control only as
a means of tracking trends. My average A1C throughout the
study was 6.5 and my best A1C was 6.2. The target of
the trial was  an average A1C of 6.05 and few people in the
intensive group achieved this result. I used four injections
a day throughout the DCCT and the results of the A1C was
not indicative of the highs and lows that I experienced or the
amount of effort that it took for me to attempt and maintain
intensive therapy. My A1C dropped to 5.9 three months
after I started CSII with half the effort of MDI. I still do not
experience the extremes of hypoglycemia that I did on MDI.
I would love to have seen the profile of monthly A1C's and
the dramatic results if everyone in the intensive therapy
group was using CSII. Someday there will be a study of CSII
vs. MDI.

What do you think the results will show?