[IP] Basal Rates / Disetronic Cartridge

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a while, but have been reading all of the IP posts with
great interest.

The last time I posted something to the list (about a month ago), I was having
serious problems getting adjusted to the pump. Well, I'm very happy to be able
to tell you that I am finally making some progress. I now have my basal rates
fairly well set and am currently trying to confirm my carb ratios. I think the
turning point for me was accepting the fact that the pump was going to make
things better for me, but not make them perfect. Also, the support I received
from many people on this list helped my mindset tremendously.

I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with ...

First - I am fairly confident that 1 unit of Humalog will lower my blood glucose
by 40 points. Is there some way to translate this into what a 0.1 unit per hour
change in basal rate would result in?

Second - I am using the Disetronic pump. After filling a cartridge, I noticed
that there was some Humalog in between the 2 o-rings at the bottom of the
cartridge. Is it safe to use this cartridge?

Thanks again for all of your help!

== Steve ==