[IP] college and testing at night

Testing at night I think is an each to their own situation - if it gives you
piece of mind, then go for it.  My family never tested me at night unless we
were having problems with morning sugars or suspected that I was going
low/high - we'd do a few middle of the night tests and adjust if needed.

My personal belief (and this one obviously is a way personal one, each to
their own, ya da, not trying to offend anyone) is that God will protect me
while I am sleeping.  I ask for his help in keeping an eye on me, and He
does.  Every possible scary incident i've ever had has had some "why"
situation attached to it... (i.e. Why, when my sister had her first seizure,
did she just happen to have someone spending the night?  Or why when I had a
bad set did I just happen to test my sugar even though I almost never test
in between dinner and bedtime? (was 512 at the time and like always, felt
fine))  Diabetes is a give and take disease - but I can't live my life
around it - I will not and cannot wake up every night at 3 am to test or I
will suffer severe consequences due to lack of sleep (takes me forever to
fall back asleep).  Is this a gamble?  Yes, of course.  Does it make me
happier?  Yes of course.

Don't feel guilty if you don't test your children - all that matters is that
you are comfortable while they are sleeping - whether you find that comfort
through faith, or through testing, it's up to you.

As for college, ruth, there are actually a ton of us on this list.  I never
had a problem keeping insulin in my room/fridge and friends learn to
recognize lows just as quickly as parents.  My best friend in college would
argue with me - within literally 20 seconds of meeting up - that I needed to
test.  Before I said anything, even moved - she could tell from the color of
my face.  Or after a while, once I became crabby, she'd start offering me
candy :)  My primary "memory" of dorm life was that there was always
somebody around - passing through, in and out - it would be extremely
difficult to not notice the alarm going off!  In college, you rarely get
more than 6 hours of sleep too - and while 6 hours of no insulin can throw
you very high, well, you know how to deal with it.  Yes, there might be
problems, but we know how to handle them... it's another letting go type

Susan, who stuck a set in (gasp) her ribcage this morning for the first time
and is wondering how long it'll last...