Re: [IP] MM 508 remote

You're only as old as you feel and this makes me feel a lot older. I can explain why the
pennies caused the channel to change. I was old enough to service TVs with this type of

The early remotes used sound as a command source rather than modulated radio waves
or infrared like today's remotes. The remote had a little metal rod or rods that
generated a noise that the TV would "hear" and act on accordingly. The noise
created by your pennies bouncing against each other must have randomly matched the
sound that the TV expected.

Remote controls have gotten a lot more sophisticated since then. Since they have
people's lives in their hands, MM would be very careful to make sure random events
like noises or planes flying overhead won't interfere with the operation of the pump.