[IP] Re: Laser Lancing

Chronimed currently manufactures a laser lancing device called the
Lassette.  It is designed (and priced) for use in a lab or doctor's
office.  I don't recall the exact price but it seems to me that it is
around $2,000.  In addition, each time you use it, you have to utilize a
disposable shield that is only used one time.  The shields can get a
little expensive, too.  Chronimed is working on a consumer model that is
now in testing and should be released soon.  Cost is supposed to be
quite a bit less and it will have a cartridge of shields in it that will
allow over 100 lancing between changes.  You can see what the doctor's
office model looks like by going to Chronimed's web site, specifically:

This appears to have a lot of potential but the cost is going to have to
come down quite a bit before it will be very popular.

Bob (in San Francisco Bay Area)