Re: [IP] MiniMed reply about remote question

I didn't want to post this to the list, but "unique addresses" remind me of
my younger days ...

As we all know, every Ethernet chip has a unique address, making it
"impossible" for two Ethernet devices to have the same address. Oooops -
guess what Bob Burnett discovered several years ago (I do *not* want credit
for this, cause it was ugly).

The inventors of Ethernet never predicted how pervasive this stuff would
be. After a bunch of time, they "re assigned" addresses from some of the
first chips ever produced, assuming those devices were long dead and
buried. When I worked for Carrier Corporation, we had a huge network crash,
when some of our hubs started broadcasting duplicate E-Net addresses. After
many many hours, we discovered some old PCs in the back of several factory
floors which were using some original 3Com 3C 501 cards - some of the first
Ethernet adapters available. Seems the hub manufacturer was "reassured" by
3Com that those addresses were no longer available, and assigned those
addresses to some of their hub cards. Talk about a bunch of nervous, very
embarrassed engineers <vbg>

I get nervous with my garage door opener <g>