Re: [IP] Low in the night -- for parents

> << The thing that is
>  interesting is the cumulative bg drop. She had 8 glucose tablets
>  which normally move her bg 25 points each -- that's a total deficit
>  of 200 bg points -- definetly CRASH potential. >>
> Ah, yes -- the "never-never ending lows." I get those once in
> awhile. Keep dropping despite tossing sugar down my throat. I've
> found that a can of real Coke, Pepsi or Mountain Dew works best for
> me in those cases. It was suggested by my CDE once when I called in
> a panic from Wal-Mart in the midst of one of those.

We've stopped doing that kind of correction because of the potential
for over compensating and waking up high. I just set my clock and
wake her every 30 minutes until she is stable. If I know it is from
an overbolus, then she will eat a snack, but when the cause is
unknown we just treat the continuing symptoms until she stabilizes.
It only happens once in a while, maybe 2-3 times a year. This was all
very controled and she never got lower than 50. I've seen her in the
30's and still lucid, so generally we have a pretty easy time of it
when there is a low. After the episode a couple of years ago when I
found her totally unresponsive it takes a lot to get me rattled -- I
did not like that and is scared the hell out of me. I've become
almost saintly <vbg> as a result when it comes to lows.