QID, was: Re: [IP] BG Meters and their respective software Question

I used the Precision QID for quite a while and liked it. Several months ago
I spent a long time on the telephone with one of the engineers at Abbott
Labs (distributor of the QID), discussing their software / download
process. Here's what I remember from the conversation:

The QID will display the results of the last 10 readings as you scroll
through them. There is no date / time stamp displayed on screen, which
might make this "less useful" than you desire - depends on your requirements.

There are no averages displayed or maintained, either. This information
requires software for analysis.

The batteries are sealed into the meter - when they wear out, the company
sends you a new meter. It's rated for approximately 4000 tests.

The meter can be downloaded into the Precision Link software, or into the
Metamedix Mellitus Manager software for analysis. However, this is an
"ouch, that's very expensive" process ...

The Precision Link software comes with a cable / protocol converter /
interface box. Depending on your viewpoint, the software is "free" if you
purchase the cable for $140, *OR* the cable is free if you purchase the
software for $140. Either way, you need the cable / protocol convertor to
get the data from the meter to the compatible software package of your
choice. Either way, you pay 140 clams for the option.

The first time you connect the QID meter to the cable / protocol convertor,
it "reads" the chip in the meter and asks you to set the date / time for
the protocol convertor / interface box gizmo thingy. From that point on,
the interface box counts the "oscillations" from the chip and converts them
to time / date stamps (in other words, "this chip has oscillated XX times
since you told me it was 8:00 a.m. on 10/10/99). This information is then
available for software download and analysis. I'm not an engineer, so this
is very much a lay person's understanding of a very technical conversation
with a product engineer.

The QID meter can record more than 100 BG results internally, for later
download. However, as stated earlier, only the last 10 are visible on the
meter display.

I love(d) this meter - extremely portable, strips are very easy to carry,
since they are not in a container (you'll find them similar to the
Glucometer Elite / XL, perhaps easier to handle, since they are a bit
larger). The meter is very quick (20 seconds or so?), and the strips
require very little blood.

However, I found the QID meter to vary from the lab norm when readings got
over 210 or so. I spent 6 hours recently with my endo in a test lab,
working on a non invasive meter project. We had a chance to use my QID,
along with an AccuCheck Complete, and the lab "reference meter" (a
Hemocue?). We found the QID to be consistently lower when readings got over
210, with a variation at the upper ends of our tests of as much as 50
points (lab reference and Complete read 290, QID read 245, for example).
The QID also did not react as quickly to changes in BG over the 210 level
as the other machines did - it tended to "stick" to this reading, while the
Complete and the reference monitor accurately recorded the movement of my
BG up to our target and downward again. I had always suspected this, but it
was very interesting to see this confirmed in a lab setting.

Now, before we start a "meters war" thread, remember - YMMV. Also, IMBGNY
(It's My Blood Glucose, Not Yours). If your meter is serviceable, provides
the detail you and your health care team need, supplies are easy to obtain
then it's probably a good meter for you.

Based on my experience, the QID is a solid meter, but it forces me to rely
on my doc for data download / trend analysis. Not good in my opinion, since
it doesn't fit our doctor / patient relationship model well.

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted

At 12:25 AM 10/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have been using the Glucometer Elite XL (which I love) and their software
>and cable to import my meter readings into my PC.  My Doctor is a real
>stickler for the details, and it makes it so much easier.  Now, my insurance
>has changed their mail order pharmacy, and they sent me a new Precision QID
>meter, and naturally from now on, that is the brand of strips I will be
>getting.  Has anyone used the software for this meter? (the Precision QID)
>As far as I can tell, the meter does not have a clock or time feature to
>stamp the readings.  How could this information be helpful to show trends or
>trouble spots with no time stamp?
>I'm ready to bite the cost of strips to stay with my Glucometer, or maybe
>find software that will work with both...  but the time stamp thing really
>bothers me.
>Any ideas or suggestions?
>David  Type 1  LADA  (who LOVES his MiniMed 507c Insulin Pump!)
>Assimilated into the Borg Collective on May 3, 1999, at 1200 hours
>(LADA  ==>  http://www.cde.com/diabetes.world/lada.htm )

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted