Re: [IP] Alphabet Soup: JDF?ADA?DRI? JUST DO IT!!!

Teressa and Mag:
    No need to feel less than proud of your own accomplishments! Our first
year ('92) we raised $500, $880 the next and $1100 the 3rd year, which
enabled us to attend the awards ceremony. Purely by chance, we wound up
seated next to the dad of a pre-teen who had raised $13,000! Melissa nearly
fell off her chair! He explained that they'd mailed letters to practically
everyone in their small town, to his business contacts, to relatives, to
friends' relatives, etc. explaining how diabetes had impacted their
daughter's life....So the next year, we did the same & raised $7700, followed
by $12,000, $14,000, $22,000 and this year's $23,500! Yes, there are people
who NEVER donate, some who increase their donations every year, some who
truly look forward to Melissa's letter to learn what's new in the world of
diabetes research, some who don't give for 2 years & then suddenly give
again, etc. etc. My parents also send to people they know, most of whom give
a $10 check- but 10 of those checks is another $100 and it DOES add up!
Someone sent $25 in memory of her sister who'd died from complications of
diabetes. We also had several people whose children collected their own
checks for Melissa's team, as part of their community service project.  Next
year, she will be a senior in high school, so this could be our last family
effort, but if she raises $20,000, that will amount to $100,000 by the year
2000, since she was first diagnosed. No - it's not YET a CURE, but it is a
tangible way for Melissa to feel that we ARE making a difference.

Regards, Renee (pump mom - 3 1/2 yrs)