Re: [IP] Pump Confused? (Real Long) - BG Meter confused too?

I can say that I have really loved having the 2 Disetronic pumps for my son.
 There's no way he would want to go back to injections for even 24 hours with
a possible malfunction .  Pumps do malfunction.  I love that when we travel,
we have a backup pump with us all the time. It's very reassuring in places
like Yellowstone National Park etc..  I have friends with     children who
have Minimed and they have had to wait 24 hours to get a backup while theirs
is repaired.  It's infrequent, but it happens to pumps. They are just
machines, not perfect.

It would be great to be able to put the best features of both pumps together
and to have 2 of each with the combined features. (ANIMAS, DAHEDI are you
listening?) But , it's a trade off.  I believe a temporary increase in basal
can function as a square wave - but I can't be sure because we don't have a
Minimed for my son.

If you want your pump set at being able to bolus by .1, I think it would be a
pain to do this with Disetronic - who wants to press the button 100 times for
a 10 unit bolus?  My son's is programmed to bolus in .5 increments and it's
been fine for him.  We just add a little food or subtract a little food -
it's negligible to round it to where he wants it.  Wer'e talking about a
tablespoon here or there if it really matters.  We're actually not so precise
in measuring anymore - we eyeball it and wing it - most often with good

I know that my son's Disetronic pumps have taken a lot of abuse and have
survived almost all near disasters.  He has the clear colorless pumps - he
can  easily see how much insulin is in the cartridge.  He keeps it in his
pocket, doesn't use a clip at all.  We like the look of it.

I've also heard the MM reps say disparaging remarks about Disetronic's
product and find it very unprofessional and unnecessary.  Both companies make
fine products.  Funny how the meter companies don't have a need to chastise
their competition.  Maybe because they know how innaccurate they ALL are LOL.
 Read on :-/

 : Clin Chem 1999 Oct;45(10):1821-1825Related Articles, LinkOut
Newer Portable Glucose Meters-Analytical Improvement Compared with
Previous Generation Devices?
Weitgasser R, Gappmayer B, Pichler M
2nd Department of Medicine, St. Johanns Spital, Salzburg General
Hospital, Muellner Hauptstrasse 48, A-5020 Salzburg, Austria. Author for
correspondence: Fax 43-662-651674.
[Record supplied by publisher]
Background: Newer glucose meters are easier to use, but direct
comparisons with older instruments are lacking. We wished to compare
analytical performances of four new and four previous generation meters.
Methods: On average, 248 glucose measurements were performed with two of
each brand of meter on capillary blood samples from diabetic patients
attending our outpatient clinic. Two to three different lots of strips
were used. All measurements were performed by one experienced
technician, using blood from the same sample for the meters and the
comparison method (Beckman Analyzer 2). Results were evaluated by
analysis of clinical relevance using the percentage of values within a
maximum deviation of 5% from the reference value, by the method of
residuals, by error grid analysis, and by the CVs for measurements in
series. Results: Altogether, 1987 blood glucose values were obtained
with meters compared with the reference values. By error grid analysis,
the newer devices gave more accurate results without significant
differences within the group (zone A, 98-98.5%). Except for the One
Touch II (zone A, 98.5%), the other older devices were less exact (zone
A, 87-92.5%), which was also true for all other evaluation procedures.
Conclusions: New generation blood glucose meters are not only smaller
and more aesthetically appealing but are more accurate compared with
previous generation devices except the One Touch II. The performance of
the newer meters improved but did not meet the goals of the latest
American Diabetes Association recommendations in the hands of an
experienced operator.
PMID: 10508129 <A
t_uids=10508129&dopt=Abstract">Entrez-PubMed </A>

Ellen H. Ullman
Mom, Advocate for children with diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster...<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html">
http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html </A> aka KidsRPumping.
 <A HREF="http://www.insidetheweb.com/mbs.cgi/mb760046">Message Board Cure
Type 1 Diabetes</A>