Diabetes Stamp (was)Re: [IP] Request for help/letters

Ellen:
   If you checked out the JDF web page (www.jdfcure.org) you'll see a photo
of the 2 women involved in the stamp effort. One of the 2 is from my chapter,
so based on what Valerie has told us, here's the "inside scoop":
    First of all, the current Breast Cancer stamp ( which we used the past 2
yrs on our WALK letters, thus linking my 2 advocacies!!) is a semi-postal -
the first of its kind in the USA ( although Europe has done this previously).
It is worth 33 cents postage, but costs 40 cents, with the additional 7 cents
going towards research & having netted (in just one year) over $7 million, I
believe.
    The diabetes stamp effort was also initially aimed at a semi-postal, but
that plan was scrapped when it was noted that it would delay the approval
process. There are various steps that must be followed sequentially in order
to have a new stamp authorized. We had the petition forms displayed at our
WALK & did gather a lot of signatures. You can all participate by doing the
following:
    "The U.S. Postal Service receives more than 40,000 letters recommending
stamp subjects and designs each year. Only 30 new stamps are issued annually.
Public interest has a favorable impact on the selections of the Citizens’
Stamp Advisory Committee. Because diabetes affects 16 million Americans, a
collective effort could make this the most requested stamp in the history of
the postal service.
    You can help by sending a postcard, letter, or petition urging the
Citizens’ Stamp Advisory Committee to issue a Diabetes Awareness Postage
Stamp (see Sample Letter). Please include your own personal story about
diabetes, and send your request with your signature and address to"
Citizens’ Stamp Advisory Committee
c/o Stamp Development
U.S. Postal Service
Room 4474 EB