Diabetes Stamp (was)Re: [IP] Request for help/letters

   If you checked out the JDF web page (www.jdfcure.org) you'll see a photo
of the 2 women involved in the stamp effort. One of the 2 is from my chapter,
so based on what Valerie has told us, here's the "inside scoop":
    First of all, the current Breast Cancer stamp ( which we used the past 2
yrs on our WALK letters, thus linking my 2 advocacies!!) is a semi-postal -
the first of its kind in the USA ( although Europe has done this previously).
It is worth 33 cents postage, but costs 40 cents, with the additional 7 cents
going towards research & having netted (in just one year) over $7 million, I
    The diabetes stamp effort was also initially aimed at a semi-postal, but
that plan was scrapped when it was noted that it would delay the approval
process. There are various steps that must be followed sequentially in order
to have a new stamp authorized. We had the petition forms displayed at our
WALK & did gather a lot of signatures. You can all participate by doing the
    "The U.S. Postal Service receives more than 40,000 letters recommending
stamp subjects and designs each year. Only 30 new stamps are issued annually.
Public interest has a favorable impact on the selections of the Citizens’
Stamp Advisory Committee. Because diabetes affects 16 million Americans, a
collective effort could make this the most requested stamp in the history of
the postal service.
    You can help by sending a postcard, letter, or petition urging the
Citizens’ Stamp Advisory Committee to issue a Diabetes Awareness Postage
Stamp (see Sample Letter). Please include your own personal story about
diabetes, and send your request with your signature and address to"
Citizens’ Stamp Advisory Committee
c/o Stamp Development
U.S. Postal Service
Room 4474 EB