Re: [IP] Velosulin/ Humalog mix

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 email @ redacted wrote:
> I see no advantage to mixing these insulins when you are on a pump.

Then consider yourself lucky. My daughter and others on this list are
lucky to get 1 1/2 to 2 days on a site before the bg's begin to rise.
With a mixture of 5 parts Humalog and 1 part Velosulin, Lily and others
can get 3 or 4 days or more (not recommended) without any rise at all in
their bg's. Is that enough of an advantage?? For a busy teen, changing
your set every day and a half to two days is a "pain", both literally and
figuratively. With straight Velosulin, the timing is difficult because
you must bolus in advance of eating and if you are low, it takes forever
for it to go away. Mixing a small amount of V with H does not measurably
effect the timing of the H, but does wonders for site longevity. For those
with gastro problems, the mix enables them to tailor a response that matches
their own particular digestive timing, also a big plus+++++.

Now you KNOW!!  :-))