[IP] driving and lows do NOT mix and are NOT funny

long, as is most of what I write....sorry...

I wrote:
> There is some lady at my gym who has been barred from the training floor
> she has passed out twice due to low blood sugar - stupid and irresponsible.
> And I say those words, because that is how I would describe myself if and
> when it ever should happen!

and Jef responded with:
> This is harsh. You're telling me you NEVER blacked out?

Yes I am telling you that...I think I even wrote those exact words a few
lines later.  I have had diabetes more than 25 years, and it is NOT just a
"touch" of diabetes.  I have been on insulin, 100% type 1 since I was 10
years old, and I have never ever, not even once, passed out due to low blood
sugar...I fainted once when my mom tried to lance a blister, but that is
it...as I write a few lines later, maybe I am a control freak, but I
*personally* and to the best of my abilities, do not ALLOW my body to get
into an uncontrollable situation... Everyone is different and has their own
approach.  Obviously, I am not calling anyone on this list stupid and
irresponsible...Just making one of those famous "sweeping generalities" that
we all hate so much.

This is not to say that bad things can't STILL happen to me, but *IF* they
do, they will most certainly be out of blue, blind-siding events that I am
completely and totally unprepared for, such as my appendix rupturing last
year.  I was eating NOTHING but apple juice and dex tabs, subsisting on
basals cut practically to nothing for three weeks before the so-called
medical professionals could figure out my problem.

This woman at my gym has had Type 1 diabetes longer than me.  I have tried to
discuss the pros of the pump...I have encouraged her to test..."oh no," she
says, "my doctor says I only have to do it in the morning and when I go to
bed..."  well for gods sake, that, in my opinion, is stupid and
irresponsible.  If she had said, "oh yes, i know.  I test my blood 6 times a
day and I must have miscalculated on my insulin before I ate dinner" then she
would NOT be stupid and irresponsible.

Jef wrote:
> I wouldn't say this lady is stupid and irresponsible. I'd say she may need
> to get her lows in control to try and get her symptoms back.

no - she feels them....and does nothing...

The POINT is, this woman passed out TWICE from going low on the gym floor.
The old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" can
be applied here.  If she passed out ONCE, and STILL failed to accept the
responsibility that working out + insulin + not enough food makes her go low
and pass out, then she is silk screening her own I AM STUPID AND
IRRESPONSIBLE t-shirt! If a parent unknowingly gives a child a wrong insulin
dose and causes the child to pass out from a low, HOPEFULLY the next time
they will accept responsibility and recheck the bolus/dose...There are many
times when I have given my bolus only to change my mind about what I actually
ingest...dammit, I HAVE to eat something, or I will crash and maybe even pass
out.  I have to not be STUPID and say, "oh gee I took too much insulin, and
insulin makes me go low, so I have to eat something else, or turn my pump
off....AND I better be responsible enough to test frequently to make sure I
don't go too low."  If I choose to be stupid and irresponsible by NOT eating
and then going to the gym...well then I deserve the stupid and irresponsible
label, and I deserve to be reported to the DMV if I go low while I am driving
and pass out!!!

So, yeah, there is a learning curve and a time/place where you eventually
accept total responsibility for yourself...When you stop depending on
doctors, parents, friends and god to keep you alive.  You realize you are
responsible for you and that life is a series of NON-fatal accidents.

Jef wrote:
> once while I was sitting in a restaurant. I was fine, the next thing I
> remember were the paramedics giving me some of that nasty sugar gel.

So, did you ever figure out what wen wrong?  Had you tested recently?  Were
there other extenuating circumstances, like a sudden dump of your entire
tubing, or had you taken your injection before you ordered and then the food
took an excessive time to arrive.  I personally avoid this problem by not
giving my shot, or my bolus (now) until I see the actual plate - too many
times as a child was I forced to ruin a good dinner with boring sugar

Whatever...I am not saying surprise lows aren't possible - and I am by no
are stupid and irresponsible because you have passed out from a low.  I am
just saying that you, and I mean that in the universal sense of you - ie, any
mature person, chronological age notwithstanding, CAN and SHOULD avoid lows!
You MUST avoid passing out and losing control!!  If you don't feel the
symptoms, then you should raise your target range for a while until you DO
feel them again...and if that doesn't work, then you better be testing more

Jef wrote:
> People are funny when it comes to life changing diseases like Diabetes.
> Some take it super serious and forbid themselves from ever leading normal
> lives again. Others live like they were and slide on by. I'd like to think
> I'm smack dab in the middle.

I try to be in the middle too, and I lean towards living as normal as
possible, but unfortunately I am too well educated to "let" myself slide
without being aware of the consequences.  It is no fun to cheat when you know
you are gonna have to pay the piper, so to speak at the next bg check!  In
fact, it isn't even cheating...you are just delaying the appropriate action.
Hopefully I am not stupid and irresponsible enough to NOT test my blood sugar
3 hours after eating Oreos to make sure my blood sugar is in an acceptable

So...off to the gym...and you can betchera** that I will test before, during
and after, and if I do pass out, it will be because I get a hot date for
Saturday night, NOT because my blood sugar is low!