Re: [IP] Another view of funding -- ADA

email @ redacted wrote:
> Natalie, I don't know why you think JDF research will not lead to a cure of
> type 2.  From my reading of the grants they support, much of their research
> could also help cure type 2.

The reason that I don't believe any cure is coming for Type 2 is that
they don't even know what causes the insulin resistance, nor what the
mechanism is, and therefore haven't any idea where to target a cure.

Until the insulin resistance is cured, Type 2's and potential Type 2's
will be able, perhaps, to control their diabetes with strict attention
to diet and exercise, and oral meds, but I don't call that a cure, any
more than insulin is a cure for Type 1. I'll call Type 2 cured when a
person can be a couch potato and eat a rotten diet and not develop Type
2 diabetes (as those not genetically predisposed can currently do).

The biggest difference is that they KNOW that Type 1 occurs because beta
cells are destroyed, and so efforts are directed at replacing beta
cells, and preventing further destruction -- I feel that these are
realizable goals, even if not as easy and straightforward as we might
wish. So I AM optimistic that a cure for Type 1 will be found, even if I
can't set a timeline.

With Type 2, I just don't see any cure in sight. Not even on the distant
horizon. So I don't see the ADA going out of business anytime soon. Or
even in a hundred years. The millions of people who are suffering from
Type 2 cannot wait for a cure, and they need the education NOW.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's decision about where they direct their
donations, but I did want to contribute another perspective.
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted