Re: [IP] Another view of funding -- ADA

Natalie, I don't know why you think JDF research will not lead to a cure of
type 2.  From my reading of the grants they support, much of their research
could also help cure type 2.  I agree there may be other very good reasons
to support ADA or other charities that provide education, volunteer
activities, and support, so everyone has to make their own choice as to how
to give their dollars.    For me, though, I'm giving my dollars to JDF,
with great hopes and anticipation that they will someday put ADA out of
P.s. ADA  gives less than 40% of revenues to research.

<<<<<<I think education is a VITALLY important function of the ADA -- because
there are a lot of diabetics out there, primarily Type 2's, but also
Type 1's with complications, for whom a cure is NOT coming in the near
OR distant future.
It is unfair to these people for all diabetes organizations to
concentrate TOTALLY on a cure for Type 1, who, after all, constitute a
very tiny proportion of all diabetics in the US. So I'm perfectly happy
for the JDF to concentrate on a cure for Type 1, and for the ADA to
concentrate on education for those who will NEVER be cured, no matter
HOW much money is spent on research.

And for that reason, I support both organizations, because my heart goes
out to ALL diabetics, not just one type.
 Natalie A. Sera<<<<<<<<