[IP] Minimed Announcement

Subj:   MiniMed Inc. Announces Nicole Johnson, Miss America...
Date:   10/8/99 9:42:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   AOL News

MiniMed Inc. Announces Nicole Johnson, Miss America 1999, as Official

    SYLMAR, Calif--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 8, 1999--

     - Miss America 1999 continues to raise diabetes awareness -

     MiniMed Inc. (Nasdaq: MNMD) announced today that it is partnering with
Nicole Johnson, Miss America 1999, to continue her mission of diabetes
awareness. Ms. Johnson will serve as an official spokesperson for the
Company, speaking out on the importance of maintaining good glycemic control
for the treatment of diabetes.

     "I am thrilled to be working with MiniMed, a world leader in diabetes
management," Ms. Johnson said. "We are a perfect match because we both are
filled with hope for a brighter tomorrow and, ultimately, a day without
diabetes. However, until that day comes, we are dedicated to educating
patients that diabetes doesn't have to control them, rather, they can control
their diabetes."

     During her tenure as Miss America, Ms. Johnson addressed both the
medical and patient communities with her platform, "Diabetes: Unmasking the
Hidden Killer." This campaign, which emphasizes the importance of education,
early diagnosis and recognizing effective treatments for the disease, will
continue under Ms. Johnson's partnership with MiniMed.

     Ms. Johnson began pump therapy over two years ago, replacing her regimen
of four to six insulin injections per day with MiniMed's external insulin
pump, and has been an advocate of pump therapy ever since. "Wearing an
insulin pump has changed my life in so many ways," Ms. Johnson, stated. "I
would not have been able to fulfill my duties as Miss America without it. I
traveled up to 20,000 miles a month and changed countless time zones in order
to speak at medical conferences, hospitals and diabetes care centers. During
this time, I realized that wearing a pump meant I could live well with
diabetes. My pump gave me a precious gift, the gift of life and the power to
take control of my disease."

     Ms. Johnson will represent MiniMed at various engagements throughout the
United States and other countries. Ms. Johnson recently spoke to worldwide
leaders in diabetes research and development at the European Association for
the Study of Diabetes (EASD) conference about the importance of maintaining
good glycemic control. In addition to treating diabetes with pump therapy,
Ms. Johnson points to the benefits of MiniMed's continuous glucose monitoring
system, which provides physicians and patients with comprehensive data from
which to treat diabetes. The sensor records up to 288 glucose measurements
over a 24 hour period and is designed to be worn for three days."One of our
biggest challenges is identifying low and high blood glucose excursions,
especially at night," Ms. Johnson says. "In the near future, MiniMed's sensor
will also include high and low glucose alarms, and, next year, the sensor
system will display continuous readings on the screen. This information is
desperately needed and is a dream come true for the 16 million people
afflicted with diabetes."

     MiniMed Inc. designs, develops, manufactures and markets advanced
infusion systems with a primary emphasis on the intensive management of
diabetes. The Company's products include external pumps and related
disposables, a continuous glucose monitoring system product and the
distribution of an implantable insulin pump, which is currently approved for
sale in the European Community and has not yet been cleared for marketing in
the U.S. The Company also distributes other diabetes supplies and
pharmaceutical products.

     Any statements made by MiniMed in this press release that are
forward-looking, including statements relating to MiniMed's future generation
continuous glucose monitoring systems and features contained in such systems,
consumer acceptance of continuous glucose monitoring systems and the future
benefits of MiniMed's continuous glucose monitoring systems are made pursuant
to the Safe Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Reform Act of 1995.
Investors are cautioned that forward-looking statements involve risks and
uncertainties which may affect MiniMed's business and prospects, including
changes in economic and market conditions, acceptance of MiniMed's products
by the health care and reimbursement communities, health care legislation,
new developments in diabetes therapy, administration and regulatory approval
and related considerations, and other factors discussed in the Company's
filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Kevin R. Sayer

Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

Eric S. Kentor

Senior Vice President and General Counsel

Investor Relations

Morgen-Walke Associates

Robert P. Jones/Ephraim R. Bernstein

Media: Sheryl Seapy