Re: [IP] a cure

In a message dated 10/7/99 8:44:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I too have heard that the ADA only puts 50% or less of their dollars into
 research. >>

I hate to see the ADA trashed because of one horror story.  The ADA says that
$.80 of every dollar from the Walk goes for diabetes research or education or
changes in legislation.  I don't know if this is accurate or not.  They do
have many arms to their program.  I think they are a well respected
organization so I believe them.  I think everyone should donate where they
think the money will be best spent.  I do think education is important, but I
would rather all my money go for research.  I think different people have
different priorities.  Next year, I would like all my money to go to DRI
(Diabetes Research Institute) in Miami because I think they are closest to a
Cure.  I like Dr. Ricordi who heads up their program.
There are a group of children at the ADA's Walk this year where all the money
they collect will go to our state diabetes camp.  This fascinated me because
I didn't know that I could direct my money where I wanted it to go.  I have
asked if the money I collected could all go for research.  I am waiting to
hear from someone in charge concerning this option.  To me, this would be a
big plus for the ADA.  ellen