Re: [IP] a cure

Mag, you are right to be concerned about how charities spend their money.
Often it is not easy to find that information either.  The American Lung
Association for which I have worked only spends about 5% of their dollars
on supporting lung research.  The rest is on staff salaries and educational
programs.  That is about the worst.  On the other extreme you have JDF
which spends over 80% of its dollars supporting research to cure diabetes.
They will support research internationally too, which shows their
commitment to really finding a cure.  Most other charities will only
support research in the US, which seems a bit funny if they really are
looking for good research to cure disease.  I don't have the exact figures,
but tradidionally , the ADA is closer to the Lung Assoc in the fraction of
its support of basic research.