Re: [IP] In defense of Dads

In a message dated 10/6/99 11:45:57 AM Central Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< Our whole social structure imprints roles and creates stereotypes.  >>

Curtis, I applaud your involvement with your children.  I think I was
misunderstood when I stated that Michael was the only one I knew on this site
that was involved with his child.  I was not trying to put down Dads, but
reflect like you about the way our Culture is with respect to Mom taking care
of everything with their children.  I don't think this is good, this is just
the way it is.  Of course, there are many exceptions, but I was speaking in
general.  My dad would be 79 today if he was still alive.  I think he never
even considered involvement because that was mom's job.  However, I feel
badly for men of that generation who were not involved with their children.
I think they missed alot.  I thought it was much easier to be involved today,
but maybe not.  The wheels of change turn slowly.
So that there is no mistake here, I want you to know that I love my dad very
much. It was not until his death that I realized how alike we are and how
much I actually learned from him.  Most of what he taught us, we didn't know
we were being taught at the time because most of things he taught us, he
taught by example.  I miss him.  ellen