Re: [IP] Diabetes support group meeting ideas?

In a message dated 10/6/99 11:33:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Any ideas or sugestions you have are very much
 appreciated!  >>

Teressa, I have been president of an insulin-pump support group for a year
now.  The first thing I did was send around a sheet that asked what they
would like to learn about and who would they like to hear speak?
Unfortunately, most answers said "everything" and "anybody".  This was not
very helpful.  I send an announcement out to 100 people, but only around 20
come to each meeting.  We have discussion, but mostly speakers.  I have heard
a podiatrist and a dietician, a kidney transplant recipient, research update,
and exercise with diabetes.  I thought they were all good, but the meetings
that draw the most attendence is the endo.  For some reason, all their
patients come to hear them.  You might want to start off with an endo.  We
have 3 in my town.  There is another support group here that meets every
month at a local restaurant for talk and eats.  I personally don't like this
format, but it is easy to set up.  I eat out a couple of times a month and I
like to pick the restaurant (a good one) I eat at.  I have been to several of
their meetings and they are nice too, but I learn more at mine.  I also tried
a couple of meetings for "Fun".  That involved bowling (very poor turnout), a
cookout (very good turnout), and a lake party (soso turnout).  I have alot of
older people who are not interested in very active things (lol), but was
hoping to draw young people in.  This is difficult because young people are
very busy along with their parents.
You will know the kind of meetings to have after a few months.  The people
that come regularly have a certain profile and you can proceed from there.
Good luck and have fun.  ellen