Re: [IP] The Time It Takes To Recover From A Hypo - Help!

Dan, extensive exercise will generally lead to a decrease in insulin
requirements by muscle (and maybe other organs).  Other proteins associated
with building and repairing muscle are able to transport insulin to the
cells.  This effect may last one or two days after the workouts.  The best
way to avoid prolonged lows under these conditions is to decrease your
basal rate a substantial amount.  By substantial, I mean 50% or more.
Sometimes after a day of hard physical work, I can even  completely
disconnect the pump overnight, and my BG stays stable.   You may find, too,
that after this period is over, you actually can have a decreased insulin
sensitivity for a while.   I don't think it is a glycogen issue.  The
glycogen is quickly restored after exercise, but glycogen probably doesn't
play much of a role unless you get really really low.

<<<<<<I've had IDDM for 16 years and I've noticed a wide range of hypos.
The worst
ones in terms of "hypo-hangover" come at night and especially when I've been
This is a wild guess (I'm no doctor and I don't play one on TV) but I think
that if I've been running low and then I have a serious hypo episode (40 or
lower), it's harder to recover. Maybe I depleted my internal stores of
glycogen (whatever is stored in the liver for such emergencies)?  This is
more likely to happen when I've exercised for a couple of days in a row.