[IP] Post Basal testin bg spikes

Hi all:
   Have any of you ever noted after the span that you fast for basal
testing, that when you finally eat your bg goes way high?  This happens
almost always for me.  For instance today I was rechecking my early
morning and morning rates.  My sugar remained within 12 points from 4 am
to 11 am at noon at my last check I was 83. I thought no problem and ate
lunch and bolused for the meal.  60 g carbs low protein and fat.  At 3
pm I was 228 and had to correct, at 5 pm I was still 180.  Normally my
numbers are fine in the afternoon and if they aren't I am not so
resistant when correct. Any ideas? Sheila