Re: [IP] carbs in protein?

According to my dietitian, 60% of protein is converted into carbs. If
you eat a hefty chunk of concentrated protein, you should see a rise in
BGs about 4 - 8 hours after you eat.

In addition, fat increases insulin resistance, so you might find
yourself needing more insulin than usual if you eat a high-fat meal,
even if the carb count does not change. (That's where the idea that Type
2's should eat low-cat comes from).

I'm sure this is another YMMV issue, but I have found that setting a
temporary basal for 4 hours after I eat, amounting to 0.5 to 1 unit per
hour in ADDITION to my normal basal usually takes care of it. If, at the
end of the 4 hours, I'm still a little high, I can usually bolus it down
quite readily.

Other people would surely need different amounts and different time
frames, but at least this might be food for thought!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted