RE: Re: [IP] Pumpers' website & list - rblakely

At 04:00 PM 10/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Maybe you could cough up the sum of money that is  needed to support the
list then?
>I don't think that Michael is going to let others control >the list.
There are many sites that are supported in this >fashion.  There are also
many who pay sites to put their >links on their site. I am sure Michael has
thought this >through and is doing what he thinks is best for the
>list and I support him in his efforts.

I have contributed to the list.  I did so as soon as Michael asked for
support.  I have absolutely no doubt of Michael's good intentions or his
intelligent leadership.  I have depended on this list for information and
support a long time and I want it to continue.  I am not concerned about
two months from now or even a year or two.  What concerns me is the policy
of accepting funds from outside enterprises and individuals leaves the list
open to influence from those contributors.  That is a quid-pro-quo that is
as old as man and money.  The idealism of the beginning will ultimately
lead to expanding beyond the funds available and more funds are sought.  It
is human nature, neither good nor bad.

My wish is to simply point out that there ain't no free lunch.  We are
going to have to give up something in order to get something else.  Is that
what we want?  Frankly, I cannot see the future and have no certain
knowledge of what will come but I would suggest careful thought and peering
forward as far as we can see.  The internet has so changed things and
sometimes the instant answer is the only acceptable one.

To repeat myself, I am not against money (per se) or even money with
strings.  I am against our losing our objectivity because we want a bigger,
better list that will reach more and serve more.  I fear we must walk a
careful walk here so that we do not cross bridges we cannot go back to.

Bob Blakely