Re: [IP] Inexperienced and Scared

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Glenda A Lyssy wrote:

> I have read some recent posts regarding hospitalization and it has
> increased my uneasiness about all of this.   How should my wife or I
> handle the staff regarding their ignorance of this device?
Educate them NOW, not during the process.

> I gave my VA
> doctor instructions that I remain on the pump but I don't know if they
> will honor my request.  Is this really something I should worry about?
Yes, worry.

> Are there certain things I should watch out for?  The doctor told me that
> they give diabetics glucose prior to surgery to keep them high so they
> won't bottom out.  Is this normal??  Am I making a mountain out of a
> molehill?

No, you are not. You should make sure they do it right. Your wife should
have a power of attorney to act in your behalf should any question
whatsoever arise while you are 'out'.

Make an appointment to see the anesthesiologist that will be there for
the surgery. Talk to him on the phone and have your endo contact him.
He's the guy/gal that matters. Read the post from a couple of days ago on
the subject, it is right on target with specifics.