Re: [IP] carbs in protein?

In a message dated 10/2/99 10:07:18 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< wait, why wouldn't it be in meats?  I had to do it for the prim rib I ate
 last week too.  --gianna >>

I''ve debated this issue with myself for several years since starting
pumping.  Is the high that hits 6-8 hours later because the protein has
carbs?  or because the high-fat in the meat slows the absorbtion of the other
carbs eaten with the meal?

Last month I've been a "good girl" most of the time and keeping to a
low-carb, low-fat, lotsa lettuce and veggies, and boiled chicken-type diet.
I've been eating a lot of salads for dinner, usually with chicken, and a
serving of fruit.  I've bolused for the carbs in the dressing and the fruit
(and nothing for the chicken) and my bgs are even and wonderful the next
morning.  However, on Saturday night we went out to eat and I ordered a
"diet" kinda of plate that included a broiled chicken breast, pan fried
potatoes (lots of fat), and corn (with lots of butter mixed in it).  I did
the same thing as usual and bolused for the potatoes and corn, and not the
chicken. My bg at start of dinner 7:00 was 90, at bed at 11:00 was 132.  By
morning I was at a whopping 275 (I hate that).  It was my conclusion that it
was not the chicken (Protein) that was doing it, but rather the fat slowing
the absorbtion of the other carbs. If it was the protein, my home dinners
that were low fat would do the same thing to bgs as the high-fat restaurant

I've also seen big bgs from prime rib the next morning, but think of the fat
in it.  That's why it tastes so good.

That's my 2-cents worth,