[IP] carbs in other countries

Hey everyone!  I know a carb is a carb is a carb (we've all been through
THAT argument before!) but my question is . . .how do you know how many
carbs?? When I went to Italy, nothing had labels on it, and everything was
freshly made with so many different wonderful family recipes, it's not
anything like the standardized stuff here!  I'm going to England and France
next spring. . . anyone got any suggestions for how to guestimate without
too much over or underestimating.  BTW, underestimating would be better as
I'll be walking off quite a bit of those carbs!! --Gianna