Just looked it up in Mosby's Diagnostic & Laboratory Test Reference.
I am replying with the basic information. If you want the complete
description I can send privately. It is long!
    The capacity of the pancreatic beta cells to secrete insulin can be
evaluated by directly measuring either insulin or C-Peptide levels. In most
cases, direct measurement of insulin is more accurate. C-Peptide levels,
however, more accurately reflect islet cell function in the following
     Patients who are treated with insulin & have anti-insulin antibodies.
    The diabetic patient is in remission & may not need exogenous insulin.
    C-peptide can be used to diagnose "insulin resistance" syndrome.
    Abnormal findings:
    Increased levels: Insulinoma, Renal failure Pancreas transplant
    Decreased levels: Factitious hypoglycemia, Radical pancreatectomy,
Diabetes Mellitus
    Normal findings  0.78-1.89ng/ml or 0.26-0.62 nmol/L (SI units)
        Hope this helps,