From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of Natalie A. Sera
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 1999 12:47 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Type 2 explnation

email @ redacted wrote:

> Type 2 is commonly hereditary, characterised by insulin resistance.

Hi, Barb,

This is something I'm confused about. It seems that NOT all Type 2's are
insulin-resistant, and when I read the newest paper from the ADA about
classifying Types, it seemed pretty clear that Type 1 was ONLY
auto-immune, and everything else was thrown into the Type 2 basket.

Am I mistaken? If an adult's new-onset DM is not proven to be
auto-immune, then even if he is not insulin-resistant, he's still
considered to be Type 2, so far as I can tell.

In other words, Type 2 is still the catch-all for adults, and will still
result in a lot of confusion.

Has there been any progress on refining criteria for adults, that I just
don't know about?

(Until it gets clearer, I'm staying Type Weird!!!!)

Smiles,

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted

                              (