Re: [IP] Eve's candy opinion

In a message dated 10/1/99 4:24:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Encouraging candy is not being a responsible parent of a diabetic
 child.  My remarks are not meant to be offensive.  E-mail me privately
 if you have trouble with this concept.
 Eve, age 56 dx age 8, disciplined and healthy today >>
I too am disciplined and healthy today.  Age 39, dm 19yrs, pumping 3.  I also
am a mom of an 8 yr old - but not a dm one.  I can't even imagine trying to
deny that child candy on Halloween. Not that he has to pig out on it.  I was
close to 20 yrs old at diagnosis.  Followed the straight and narrow for about
3 yrs after diagnosis.  Then got so (what clean language can I use here??)
that I took my anger out at not being "normal" by binging on all of the
"forbidden" foods.  Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that it is a rare child
who can achieve that kind of discipline.  The pump enables us to have some
freedom, but no we shouldn't go hog wild with it.  I say, let the kids have
some candy and teach them how to eat it responsibly, instead of elevating it
to the same evil as cigarettes and illegal drugs.

Happy Halloween,