[IP] Re:Skin prep for John Loflin

In a message dated 10/1/99 9:33:24 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My early concerns about pump use is skin care.  I fully admit, my clinical
practice of MDI wouldn't pass muster.  I reuse lancets and syringes, shoot
through my clothes, and haven't touched alcohol pads in years.  The whole
skin-prep thing sounds tedious and "too" sterile.  My wife is a health
professional and patiently explained that one pinprick doesn't risk infection
as much as having a tube attached.  Just wonder what everyone else is
doing.... >>

You sound like one of my fellow rebels <VBG>.  I too am one of those syringe
and lancet reusers.  I have a lancet in my "finger pricker" that I think I
changed right before we went on vacation last July.  I test 6-8 times in 24
hrs.  Hasn't been a problem but know I deserve a flogging.  As far as the
skin prep I use Hibiclens to wipe the skin with and it leave a bit of
antisceptic residue as it dries. Then use tape with hole in center and insert
set and tape accordingly.  Haven't had an infection in three years of doing
it this way. I do shower, with soap even, every day, so my skin isn't all
that grimy to start with. :)