Re: [IP] Hypoglycemia in non diabetic, early sign of diabetes?

In a message dated 10/1/99 8:58:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted
writes:

<< At 05:45 PM 10/1/1999  David L. Dougherty wrote:
 >This was my history. In my teens I was rail thin. Several times each week I
 >would have to quickly eat sugar because my sugar would drop to the point I
 >would be ready to faint. I figured "at least I'll never be diabetic".
 >Suffered with low blood sugar episodes until my late 30s when they suddenly
 >stopped. I thought I was cured. At 40 I was diagnosed with diabetes. The
 >doctor told me that it is very common for someone with a history of
 >hypoglycemia to convert to diabetes. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it
 >is something to keep an eye on.

 Very interesting... I joined the diabetic club at age 37. However for about
 12 years prior to that, I used to get dizzy and "shaky" when I was very
 hungry. It was probably hypoglycemia, but the doctor's never thought it was
 anything to worry about.

I was diagnosed at age 41 and had severe hypoglycemia for six years prior to
my Type I diagnosis.  The physicians and nurses that have taken my medical
history over the past 9 years have all expressed some link between
hypoglycemic episodes prior and the onset of   Type I diabetes.  Supposedly,
it is a whacked out pancreas spurting out insulin when not
indicated........and in time burning itself out.  Not very technical, but
that is how it was explained to me.     Dianne