Re: [IP] Halloween candy

In a message dated 10/1/99 7:24:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Encouraging candy is not being a responsible parent of a diabetic
 child.  My remarks are not meant to be offensive.   >>
  I am not offended, but I have to disagree.  You were diagnosed at a time
when this was thought to be true, but whether or not to allow your child to
have candy is a decision of a parent, not necessarily of a diabetic child.
People with diabetes can have candy.  As a parent, I limit my children's
(with and without diabetes) intake of candy to special occasions and even
then, in moderation.  I don't want to get into the  '"cotton candy wars"
again, but parents of newly diagnosed children need to learn all options
available.  If they feel they don't want their child to feel left out, then
they need to learn how to include all types of foods in their child's diet.
And kids on pumps have the ability to bolus for candy.  Just remember fast
acting candy will send the BG up faster than the humalog can act on it, so
take it in slowly.  Chocolate takes a while to absorb due to the fat content
and the carbo count is relatively small for the trick or treat sized pieces.