Re: [IP] nicotinamide/niacinamide

At 08:48 AM 10/30/1998  Janelle Larson wrote:
>I've found several articles in  medical journals that indicate
>niacinamide (a form of niacin) immediately after diagnosis can
>maintain c-peptide levels.  No one suggested this to me, so
>started it
>on my own, seven months after diagnosis.  The articles came out

>in '95 and
>'96, so I'm not sure why I had to search for the information
>rather than
>learning this from my endo or diabetes educator.
>Has anyone tried this?   It seems to protect any residual beta
>cells one
>has at diagnosis.  The study I found ran for a year -- who
>if we
>could get a bit more out of it....   If you're interested in
>send me a note and I'll forward the references to you.

I don't know the exact relationship between niacinamide and
niacin... but, I'm taking megadoses of niacin. If niacinamide is
anything similar, you may need to be careful about liver damage
and you may want to be extremely careful about raising dosages
too quickly. Just in case, I think consulting with a doctor
first may be advisable.