Re: [IP] New Pumper - HELP!!!!!

>OK, I am going to be quit frank here - I am frustrated.  My
>daughter started
>on the pump last week and we had a great week with BS readings
>the 100 to
>150 range.  Unfortunately then nights also included some lows.

>Btw our endo
>is insistent upon having only one basal rate for the entire 24
>hours at this
>particular time.   He was nervous over the low readings so once

>again he
>tweaked down the basal rates to a point that I feel is too low
>now she is
>going high.
>He backed her basal rates off twice and now she is running
>By high I
>mean anywhere from 350 up to 600 most of the time now.  Quite
>honestly I am
>frustrated.  I have done everything according to the book -
>humalog, new
>infusion set, no crimps in tubing, etc.  And no matter what
>happens she is
>still  high.
>Can someone please make a suggestion to me quick.  My first
>instinct is to
>split the nightime and daytime  basals and then fine tune from
>there.  We were
>so thrilled last week by having wonderful readings and all of a

>sudden we are
>having horribly high readings and it is frustrating.
>I would like some advice so I will better understand how to
>approach him.  AND
>am i even on the right track here.????

Get the "Pumping Insulin" book (John Walsh & Ruth Roberts, 2nd
ed, Torrey Pines Press, c1994, ISBN 1-884804-77-2, $19.95). Then
set your own basals. It's your daughter's pump and your
daughter's life. You need to do what works best for her, not for
your doctor. If you doctor objects... fire him and find a new
doctor that cares more about your daughter's health than his own

It is extremely common to have different night-time basal rates.
Some people have different needs in the morning than they do in
the afternoon, etc. That's what the basal profiles are for.
Otherwise you might was well be doing MDI.