Re: [IP] six year old and the pump

> It gets extremely tiring at 10
> and 15 years down the road for a period of a week or two evey year or two and
> for manybe 6 months every 10 years to be attached to that thing.  I won't go on
> and on but it's not all a piece of cake and when the novelty and the intensive
> thoughtful support diminish it gets much harder.  A 3 year old will be 13 in 10
> years -- a hard time for most kids.  It will be a hard time to be attached to
> something for all the years you can remember.  Is this a reason not to do it?
> No, absolutely not.  You just need to be aware that pumping continues to get
> easier for the first 5-6 years and then after that it goes through waves.  Your
> body becomes less tolerant.  Things fluctute.  Old strategies stop working and
> you need to start over again and again.

Your observations about old strategies not working etc is not a pump
problem. It's just diabetes. All the years I was on MDI I had to keep
starting all over again. Injection regimes that used to work suddenly
stop working and so on. If your body starts to reject stainless steel
needles, it's easier to see and react to, compared with your body
rejecting deposits of UltraLente insulin injected under the skin: then
you've no idea what's going on.

Someone here observed earlier this year that if you subjected a
non-diabetic child to the rigours of an MDI regime, you would be charged
with child cruelty. Stabbing with needles 4 times a day, piercing finger
tips to draw blood 4 times a day. Forbidding a child to eat when they
are hungry, forcing them to eat fixed rations of food when they are not
hungry. Administering drugs that throw them into fits and convulsions.
The list goes on and on. For the diabetic child, this is excused because
it is out of medical necessity.

Trouble is, it is no longer all medically necessary. The onus should now
be on the doctor to prove that Insulin Pump Therapy is unworkable. And
the only real way to prove that is to put the child on a pump, with
necessary backup, and try it for 6 months. If the child-cruelty of MDI
is being unnecessarily inflicted on a child, the doctor should be
morally condemned.

If you want a pump for your son, keep pushing. You will succeed. If your
doctor is uneducated, then you may in the process educate him. If he
thinks you just want a quick cure, your determination will convince him

Edward Reid, by the way, is a diabetes guru, of
news:misc.health.diabetes. He's very intelligent, but to my knowledge is
not a health professional. I find that a lot of what he writes is
certainly balanced and wise, but there are a lot of bright people out
there who for one reason or another don't believe pumps offer any
benefit. That's their opinion, and they're free to express their views.
That's the beauty of newgroups. All I know is that in the 11 months
since I started pumping, my control is for the first time in 21 years
good and easy, but more importantly I enjoy a massively increased
quality of life.

- --
mailto:email @ redacted