Re: [IP] Diabetes Advocacy and the ADA

Bernard and Ted,

Yes, besides a ribbon color of our own, we have to communicate a sense of
the massive real financial and psychic costs to the world of not addressing
'our' problem. I got angry when I went to a  diabetes internet site
(unfortunately I don't recall which) whose mission statement said that this
disease can be 'managed sucessfully,' or words to that effect. This
egotistical assumption, on the part of the establishment, that if we all
just followed the 'rules' we'd be fine! Not at all true, but this attitude
is probably the prevalent barrier to a sense of urgency.

Make room on that soapbox!

I do agree, with Bernard, that we should give more of our time to stand up
and do something. However, in the same breath you illustrate that somehow,
some way we should try some innovative new ways to raise our profile.

How about declaring national 'gross out' week (we could brainstorm on the
name for it). Instead of discreetly hiding and being such good sports about
our pumps, injections, finger sticks, and doctor visits, we spend a week
wearing ribbons; being vocal, public, and angry about all of this. At the
end of the week we document how much time and dollars go into what we have
to do, and how much real hope we have right now to avoid further
complications, following the best therapies now available. Beyond that, we
keep hammering about the vast scope of this!

I'm a journalist/freelance writer. I'd be happy to participate and write
about this adventure -- and submit it to all the national magazines -- not
just the diabetes mags.

And yes, I'll consider making a commitment to be in DC next March.
(Ulterior motive, I have a sister who just started working for the State
Department. Combine business with pleasure.)

Tina Farrell
Writing, Editing, Design