Re: [IP] Re: Fwd: six year old and the pump

I appreciate your advocacy and the knee jerk reactions of many health
professionals are short sighted at best.  However, I have to put in a few
thoughts to temper the argument.  I lived with a pump from age 15 (17 years).
It was much much harder than the old insulin shot method b/c you had to pay
attention and b/c support was (and still is) often pretty minimal.  Home support
depends on the many variables of family life that are so often not all there.
The first 5 years were pretty good.  But at the 5 and 10 year points I went
through periods of finding it almost unbearable (except that I didn't have
access to medical supervision to give it up).  It gets extremely tiring at 10
and 15 years down the road for a period of a week or two evey year or two and
for manybe 6 months every 10 years to be attached to that thing.  I won't go on
and on but it's not all a piece of cake and when the novelty and the intensive
thoughtful support diminish it gets much harder.  A 3 year old will be 13 in 10
years -- a hard time for most kids.  It will be a hard time to be attached to
something for all the years you can remember.  Is this a reason not to do it?
No, absolutely not.  You just need to be aware that pumping continues to get
easier for the first 5-6 years and then after that it goes through waves.  Your
body becomes less tolerant.  Things fluctute.  Old strategies stop working and
you need to start over again and again.  Its much easier than MDI logistically
than MDI, its a thousand times more effective than the old 2 shots a day deal,
but it is not a piece of cake to live with as a pre- adolescent or as a
teenager.  Those are all those kids who quit.  By all means, do it.  But when
you do be aware of this and provide ongoing, long term, thoughtful support.

Sorry for lecturing.