[IP] Re: Fwd: six year old and the pump

I am so glad that someone else was as outraged as I was when I read the
response to that question on the Children with Diabetes web site.

I also sent a message to the doctors on the Children with Diabetes web site
asking them to explain why they thought it would be easier to get a school
or daycare to help with intensive treatment and multiple injections when
their response indicated that they wouldn't expect a caregiver to assist
with pushing a couple of buttons to give a bolus with the insulin pump.

I've been kind of depressed about the information I have been receiving
lately on this subject.  I (foolishly, I guess) responded to a usenet
message that someone had posted on misc.health.diabetes about their
frustrations with their ped endo and pediatrician not being able to work
together, and many other common problems parents of diabetic children often
face.  In my response, I mentioned that I was pursuing the insulin pump for
Mark, my 3 year old.  Well, someone responded and basically flamed me for
saying that.

Here's what Mr. Edward Reid said in response to my sentence about trying to
get the pump for my 3 year old son:
"This on the other hand is totally inappropriate. (Beth said her kid is
three.) You may wish to look up the recent interchanges in Diabetes Forecast
on pumps for children.  The nearly universal feeling -- among professionals,
parents, and children who have or have had pumps -- is that using a pump
should be the child's own decision. It simply takes too much work which
absolutely needs the actual user's attention and involvement and
committment, to be a good choice for a child who is too young to
participate."  ( I have no idea who Edward Reid is or what his background
and experience with this subject might be.)

I don't understand why he is saying that my child has to be old enough to
make this decision for himself.  Being three years old, he certainly doesn't
have any say in any of the other decisions about his diabetes management.
He does get to choose which finger to poke, and after he is given an
injection he gets to choose which sticker he wants.  Other than that, ALL
other decisions are (and MUST BE) left up to Mom, Dad and the doctor.
Otherwise, he would never get a shot or have his blood sugar tested.

I guess my son has already made the decision for himself, in a way.  It
seems like everyday he will look up at me and ask, "No more shots today,
Mama?"  And unfortunately, I have to say to him, "No, son, you'll get
another shot tonight before you go to bed, and then you'll get shots
tomorrow, too."  Whenever he asks me those questions, it breaks my heart and
makes me want to cry!  I'll just look at my husband and say, "You know, of
course, if he was on the pump we would only have to answer that question
every couple of days."

So, because my son is too young to make any decisions on his own, he has to
be denied this incredible technology that could prevent complications, which
may arise before he is even old enough to make the decision himself?

I am determined to do what is best for my child and to let him enjoy as many
of the benefits of living in this "technological" age as possible.  I have
been doing research and trying to contact as many parents of kids who
started pumping when they were toddlers as I can find.  And, I am very
grateful for all of the support and encouragement that I have received,
especially from the members of the Insulin Pumpers mailing list.

Enough rambling and venting for me, now.

Beth Mullen
Mom to Mark, 3 years old, dx at 2 months
He's not pumping yet, but I am still chugging and plugging for the pump,