Re: [IP] leave the old set in

Leaving the old set in as Michael describes doesn't seem to me to guarantee
that the insulin remaining in the set will move into the body. After all,
it no longer has the pressure behind it to 'push' it into the body.

One strategy that works for me is NOT to remove the old set right after
I've put in a bolus. I usually change the set first thing in the morning,
and then take my breakfast bolus. That way, there will only be a small
amount of basal insulin that may come out, and not the larger pool of a
bolused amount. The lost basal, if any, seems to be made up by the extra
amount programmed (at least 1 u, or more, if I've been disconnected more
than 30 minutes) to fill the cannula. That is, I don't notice any markedly
high BSs on those mornings.

But speaking of changing sets, and conserving insulin -- there's another
thing I do. After disconnecting my pump and removing the old syringe and
tubing, I draw back the unused insulin in the tubing and old syringe and
inject it back into the vial before filling a fresh syringe. This way I
conserve the leftover insulin in the syringe and tubing, which according to
figures mentioned has to be at least 20+ units.

Yes, this insulin mixes with the fresh insulin and has been sitting in the
pump for a week, but I have not had a problem with loss of potency. I just
don't like to waste insulin.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before I joined the group. Does
anybody else do this?

Tina Farrell
Writing, Editing, Design