Re: [IP] Air in infusion tube...

At 06:02 AM 10/24/98 -0400, John Huff wrote:

>to get rid of the air, by hitting the plastic syringe repeatedly, pushing
>it out, etc., etc., ad nauseum...
>Is their *ant* way to get rid of air in the platic syringe and infusion
>set? ... and *know* you've gotten rid of it?

A number of tricks may help.

1)  Make sure the insulin is at room temperature before filling the reservoir.
2)  Don't rush. Draw insulin into the reservoir slooooooooowly :-)
3)  Spend time "hunting down" the little bubbles that are in the reservoir.
Try to rotate the reservoir, moving the bubbles around, so they gather into
one large bubble. That large bubble will be a bit easier to find and get
rid of.
4)  "Flick" the end of the reservoir with your finger (sounds like you did
this), making sure the luer connector is facing up.The bubble should rise
into the neck of the reservoir where it can be primed out.
5)  Prime the tubing thoroughly. I always had to prime the tubing more than
recommended by the pump manufacturer. This is quite important if you use
the long tubing - they take a bit more priming to remove the air.
6)  Check the tubing for air bubbles by holding it up to a good light
source when priming. I have a favorite spot in my room, which I use for
this (it's also near the same area I use for tying trout flies - I need to
be careful here <vbg>). I'm always amazed at how air bubbles can manage to
hide in the tubing. I've had a number of times when I checked a small
section, assumed everything was fine, only to discover I had an air bubble
many inches long! I try to watch a good size bubble move through the
tubing, to make sure it gets all the way through. Sometimes the large
bubble picks up other small bubbles on the way, so it's good to keep an eye
open for this. Watch the end of the needle to make sure insulin is dripping
out. Air bubbles coming out of the tubing look like "spider eggs" when you
watch the end of the needle (sorry - that's the best comparison I can come
up with).
7)  Make sure the pump driver arms (MiniMed) are completely seated against
the end of the reservoir. With the Disetronic, make sure the piston rod is
seated properly in the cartridge. Each pump requires a small prime of
around 5 units to make sure the hardware is seated properly.
8)  Finally, make sure you prime the cannula portion of the set properly,
once it's inserted. Generally accepted guidelines are .5 unit for the
MiniMed SofSet, 1.0 unit for the Tenders / Comforts / Silhouettes.

Hope this helps :-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted