Re: [IP] Re: Pizza and Chinese Food

> Hi ,
> Just wanted to put my .02 cents in on this flour question.
> Regardless of the type of flour used, the compositon is basically the came.
> Moisture 12-13%
> Protien    11-12$
> CHO        74-76%
> Fat              1-1.5%
> Ash                0.5%
> Info comes from 'Practical Baking' by William Sultan.

The difference in digestion rate for various flours is related to how
finely they are milled. Flour which is a 'very' fine poweder digests
more quickly than one which is coarse (like whole wheat). Probably a
bigger factor is the other constituents of the dough. Adding fat to
the dough coats the flour particles and retards their digestion since
the fat must first be removed before the starch can be converted to
glucose. Flour (starch) that can be mixed with saliva during chewing
is converted almost instantly to glucose ( a soda cracker for
instance ). Starch with fat must first go to the stomach and small
intestine, have the fat removed and then be digested before the
glucose becomes available to the blood stream -- that takes much
longer. In the case of something like pizza, the cheese contains
loads of fat that slows things down (who thoroughly chews pizza?) and
the cheese itself contains abundant carbo equivalent due to it's
protein content.

The chinese food is another matter. The sauces are generally made
either with arrowroot or cornstarch, both of which are relatively
high in carbo yet invisible to the eye in the food. The same thing
holds true for the sauce, however, if it contains fat or oil it will
slow down the absorbtion of the starch component of itself.